Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Roasted Pears with Feta



I peered into my refrigerator at lunchtime today and hoped for something adventurous. Something that would rocket me past an ordinary peanut butter and jelly sandwich and into a slammingly productive afternoon. I saw a small container with a few crumbs of feta cheese. I saw a pear. The back part of my mind told me that it had once seen a recipe combining these two ingredients. The front part of my mind said "Ick. Why would anyone put those two together? That's a little too adventurous for today." But nothing else looked inspiring, so I did a google search on "pears feta" and came up with a very simple recipe: Roasted Pears with Feta. The reason I ultimately tried it was because it's stupid easy and didn't have any extra, fancy ingredients, only the ones I already had.

I halved the pears. I cored them, messily. I didn't have cooking spray, so I slathered the fronts and backs with a bit o' butter. I sprinkled them lightly with pepper and salt, all the while wondering why I was going along with this crazy nonsense. Pepper on a pear??! Unheard of, at least, in my little world. I popped the halves into the oven and waited for 20 minutes, listening to the butter pop and crackle and wondering again if I would have the nerve to actually crumble the feta over the top before eating them.

The timer went off. I pulled out the baking sheet and stuck it on top of the stove. I studied the pear. I sniffed it. I rolled my eyes, shrugged my shoulders, and transfered it to a cute plate. I cracked open the container of feta cheese and crumbled it artfully over the fruit. At least it will make a pretty picture, even if it tastes gross, I thought.


I procured a fork and knife and sat the plate gingerly on my computer desk. Siiiiiiigh. Okay, taking a bite...

Oh my.

That's not bad.

In fact (nom nom nom) that's pretty good.

But don't take my word for it:


Roasted Pear with Feta

1 bosc pear
1 1-inch cube of feta, cumbled (or it's container equivalent)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 425. Wash, halve, and core the pear. Spray each half with cooking spray (or slather with a bit of butter). Place on baking sheet, skin-side down. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.

2. Remove from oven. Allow to cool slightly, and then sprinkle with feta.

3. Eat, while feeling incredibly gourmet.

3 comments:

edie said...

I am suspicious but hungry. I have a pear, although not a Bosc, and some feta in my fridge. I've no reason to distrust you. I mean, you dislike hotdogs and all. Still I am wary. Yet I shall persevere. Hunger bids me on. I'll give it a whirl and report back. Tentatively I go

edie said...

Well, now, that was better than I expected. I had the feeling that it was a pear that wanted to be a potato if it only had the courage. Yet the unmistakable mingling of the seemingly accidental was pleasurable. Of course, my enjoyment was heightened by the use of a favorite fork and plate.

I gave half to my boys with brown sugar instead of feta. That was a hit.

Anonymous said...

Half with fat free feta and pepper, half with honey and vanilla. Bam. Dinner and dessert. :-)